Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The F-Bomb


I read yesterday that Joe Biden dropped the f-bomb at the ceremonial signing of the health-care bill. This seems to be a recurring and evidently serious problem, and I think it needs to be addressed. Something simply has to be done about flatulence on the part of public figures.

It’s difficult, I can appreciate that. There are times when I can hardly contain it myself. Oh sure, it’s easy enough at home where you can make jokes about it and blame it on the cat and if necessary turn on the fan. But in public it’s another matter and not to be taken lightly. Being out in the open air is one thing, but there’ve been times on airplanes when I just didn’t think I could contain myself and had to make my way to the loo simply for the purpose of passing that to which I wouldn’t want to expose an unsuspecting seatmate. Or even have to live with myself while flying over the heartland. It’s not like you can blame it on a cow 30,000 feet below.

There was some commotion a while back, I recall, about the FCC cracking down on TV networks for letting slip the dropping of f-bombs on the air. Didn’t Bono or somebody drop one once while accepting an award? I wasn’t watching the show so can’t attest to how audible it was, but it’s pretty shameless that a celebrity can’t exercise a bit more self-control. If you know you’re going to be in front of a camera, just lay off the bean dip in the green room beforehand, for cryin’ out loud. I understand cabbage can also be a culprit, so don’t go near the cole slaw either.

What I find most confounding is the fact that the media insist on reporting it. Can’t they be polite and just pretend nothing happened? Did their mothers raise them to call attention to each and every f-bomb that gets dropped? Or maybe they had the kinds of dads who liked to exaggerate every occurrence and made those rude imitative noises through cupped hands. (Or maybe the kind you make with your armpit – I never quite got the hang of that.) It just goes to show how hungry the 24-hour news cycle is for any kind of sound bite. If it’s of the silent sort, they could just let it pass as easily as he who dealt it. We don’t need to have our noses rubbed in this kind of event every time it happens.

I certainly hope our vice president learns a lesson from this, if only for the sake of his lovely wife who has to share a bed with him. It’s not as if flatulence is at the top of the list for what our newly overhauled health care system is going to address. But if there are any f-bombs to be dropped in forthcoming public events, we can only hope he has the common sense to leave the room before letting them rip.



No comments: